Tuesday, March 26, 2013

School photos

Mommy guilt. I battle it every day. Am I making the correct choices for my kids? What am I sacrificing on their behalf when I choose this path? What are they missing out on?

The silliest things that I dwell on are those ridiculous school photos. Those landmarks in time that we all love to hate, and mothers love to display proudly. I regret every year, second guess myself, and start to worry and reevaluate my choices.

Reevaluating is not always a bad thing. Upon further introspection, I realize that for every school photo that is absent on my wall, I have about 50 photos that I have taken myself: a reflection of the time we shared together. I realize that the cost of those school photos would be much greater than I am willing to afford. It would cost me the many memories that we spend each day creating. It might cost my children the amazing education they are currently receiving. And the list goes on. I don't know if this revelation means that I will not continue to feel a twinge of self doubt when I see my friends post those horribly cute school photos of their kids online, but maybe each time I see them I can continue to reaffirm my choice instead of fill myself with mommy guilt. Because when it comes down to it, I know that I've chosen the perfect educational path for my kids. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment